Dr. Hernando Jimenez
Dr. Hernando Jimenez
Research Engineer II
Chief, UAS NAS Branch
Weber, Rm 312
(404) 385 - 1691
hernando.jimenez (at) asdl.gatech.edu
- Bachelor of Science in Aerospace Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, May 2003
- Master of Science in Aerospace Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, August 2005
- Certificate in Management of Technology, College of Management, Georgia Institute of Technology, May 2007
- Doctor of Philosophy in Aerospace Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, December 2009
Current and Recent Research
- "System Analysis of Unmanned Air Systems Integration in the National Airspace System." NASA Unmanned Aerial Systems Integration into the National Airspace System (UASNAS) Project. Technical lead (GT) and co-investigator. Oversight of 7 research staff and 7 graduate students. Development of analytical framework integrating gap analysis database supporting the validation of NASA UASNAS technical areas, and portfolio analysis / management dashboard for UASNAS project. Partnership with NRA lead SAAB-Sensis, and JLP Consulting.
- "Systems Engineering Tradeoff Studies of Unmanned Air Systems (UAS) integration into the National Airspace System (NAS)." Federal Aviation Administration Systems Engineering & Safety (AJP-1) Office. Technical lead and co-investigator. Oversight of 7 graduate students. System trade studies of airspace operations, regulations, technologies, and concepts via agent-based simulations and statistical analysis.
- "Systems Analysis for ERA Vehicles and Concepts." NASA Environmentally Responsible Aviation (ERA) Project. Contributing Researcher. Oversight of 8 students. Probabilistic technology assessment for N+2 Tube-and-Wing and Hybrid-Wing_Body configurations, fleet-level assessment, system maturity and risk assessment methodology for future vehicle concepts.
- "Modeling of Vehicle Environmental Characteristics Including NextGen Technologies and Concepts." NASA Subsonic Fixed Wing Project. Oversight of 4 students. Sensitivities and tradeoff analysis of system-wide NextGen operational concepts, system dynamics analysis of system wide environmental impact reduction.
Honors and Distinctions
- Office of Minority Educational Development (OMED) Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) Tower Award, April 2010
- Aerospace Systems Design Laboratory Service Award, December 2010
- Graduate Research Award Program on Public-Sector Aviation Issues - Airport Cooperative Research Program (ACRP), Transportation Research Board, National Academies, August 2008 – August 2009
- Sam Nunn Security Program Fellowship - Center for International Strategy, Technology and Policy, Georgia Institute of Technology, August 2007 – May 2008
- Certificate of Excellence, NASA Exploration Systems Architecture Study, June 2005
Membership and Service
- Chairman, Aircraft Design Technical Committee, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA)
- Co-Chair, Aerospace Systems Integration Working Group, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA)
- Association for Unmanned Vehicle Systems International (AUVSI)
- AV020 Aviation Systems Planning Committee, Transportation Research Board of the National Academies
- International Council on Systems Engineering (INCOSE)
- INCOSE Atlanta Chapter, Board of Directors - GT Representative
- Georgia Center for Aerospace Innovation, Unmanned Aerial Systems Working Group
- Reviewer: Journal of Aircraft (AIAA), International Journal of Applied Aviation Studies (FAA), Institution of Mechanical Engineers - Part G - Journal of Aerospace Engineering, Transportation Research Record (TRB).
- Mavris D, Jimenez H, “Ch 19: Systems Design”, Architecture and Principles of Systems Engineering, Ed. Dickerson C. and Mavris D., Auerbach Publications, 2009, pp. 301-322
- Mavris D, Jimenez H, “Ch 20: Advanced Design Methods”, Architecture and Principles of Systems Engineering, Ed. Dickerson C. and Mavris D., Auerbach Publications, 2009, pp. 323-349
- Jimenez, H., Pfaender, H. J., Mavris, D. N., “System-wide Assessment of NASA ERA Concept Vehicles and Technologies for FuelBurn and CO2,”Journal of Aircraft, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, Vol. 49, No. 6, pp. 1913-1930, Nov-Dec 2012
- Jimenez. H., Mavris, D., Characterization of Technology Integration Based on Technology Readiness Levels," Journal of Aircraft, (2014), Vol. 51, No. 1, pp. 291-302. doi: http://arc.aiaa.org/doi/abs/10.2514/1.C032349
- Melnyk, R., Schrage, D., Volovoi, V., Jimenez, H., "A Third-Party Casualty Risk Model for UAS Operations," Reliability Engineering and System Safety, Elsevier, 124 (2014) 105–116
- Melnyk, R., Schrage, D., Volovoi, V., Jimenez, H., "Sense-and-Avoid Requirements for Unmanned Aircraft Systems Using a Target Level-of-Safety Approach," Risk Analysis Journal, Wiley, DOI: 10.1111/risa.12200
- Delicado, B., Jimenez, H., Mompo, R., “Collaborative Engineering in the Aircraft Industry: Unravelling Systems Engineering as a Team-based Property within Interdisciplinary Integrated Teams,” Systems Engineering, Submitted march 30, 2014
- Zaidi, T., Jimenez, H., Mavris, D., “Quantifying Random Variable Dependence Structure through Copulas Theory for Probabilistic Assessment,” Journal of Aircraft, Submitted June 17, 2014
- Jimenez, H., Schutte, J., Mavris, D., “System Readiness and Risk Assessment for Advanced Vehicle Concepts – Discussion of Fundamental Concepts,” Proceedings of the 49th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting Including the New Horizons Forum and Aerospace Exposition: AIAA-2011-0423, 4 - 7 Jan 2011, Orlando, FL.
- Jimenez, H., Mavris, D., “Quantitative Characterization of Strategic Solutions Impact on Terminal Area Operational-Environmental Performance”, Proceedings of the 10th AIAA Aviation Technology, Integration, and Operations (ATIO) Conference and 13th AIAA/ISSMO Multidisciplinary Analysis Optimization (MAO) Conference : AIAA-2010-9291, Fort Worth, Texas, 13-15 September, 2010
- Jimenez, H., Pfaender, J.H., and Mavris, D., “Environmental Tradeoff Analysis of Operational Concepts and Aircraft Technologies”, Proceedings of the 27th Congress of the International Council of the Aeronautical Sciences, Nice, France, 19-24 September 2010
- Jimenez, H., and Mavris, D. “Quantitative Characterization of Operational-Environmental Performance for Terminal Areas”, Proceedings of the 9th AIAA Aviation Technology, Integration, and Operations Conference (ATIO) and Aircraft Noise and Emissions Reduction Symposium (ANERS) : AIAA 2009- 7049, Hilton Head, South Carolina, September 21-23, 2009