Dr. Jimmy Tai
Senior Research Engineer
(404) 894 - 0197
jimmy.tai (at) ae.gatech.edu
- Ph.D. 1998 Georgia Institute of Technology Aerospace Engineering
- M.S.A.E 1991 Georgia Institute of Technology Aerospace Engineering
- B.S.A.E 1990 Georgia Institute of Technology Aerospace Engineering
- Application of the Georgia Tech Generic IPPD Methodology to Support Implementation of the NASA/Industry Phase IIA Propulsion Plan High Speed Research Program
- Work Plan for Ultra Efficient Engine Technology Systems Evaluation
- System Analysis and Program Definition for Regional Commercial Transport
- FY03 UEET Program Tech Audit and 300 Pax RSE Enhancement
- Pre-Concept Design Study for Advanced VTOL UAV
- System Analysis of Vectored Thrust Ducted Propeller Compound Helicopter
- Creation of a Parametric Variable Cycle Engine Model for Supersonic Business Jet Applications
- FY04 VISTA Technology Assessment
- Personnel Rescue Vehicle Compound Helicopter Study
- Parametric Design Space Exploration of Propulsion System for Supersonic Business Jet Application
- Combat Search and Rescue (CSAR) Vertical Takeoff and Landing - High Speed Gyrodyne Demonstrator Aircraft (GDA)
- Turbine Engine: Cooled Turbine Stage Optimization
- An Integrated System Approach to Revolutionary Aeropropulsion and Power Technologies
- Enhanced Modeling and Analysis for Technology Cost-Benefit Estimation
- Environmental Design Space
- Heliplane Demonstration Aircraft – Phase I
- Heliplane Technology Demonstration – Phase IB
- Support of NASA Subtopic A.4.7.1 – Supersonic Concept Development & System Studies
Honors and Distinctions
- URETI Award for Outstanding Program Manager presented by NASA and DoD, sponsors of the URETI for Aeropropulsion and Power Technology.
- Served as 2002 Vice President (elected) of National Association of Asian American Professionals (NAAAP) – Atlanta Chapter
- Served as 2003 Treasurer (elected) of NAAAP – Atlanta Chapter
- Served as 2004 President (elected) of NAAAP – Atlanta Chapter
- Served as 2005 National Representative of NAAAP – Atlanta Chapter
- Served as National Board Member from 2002 – 2005 of NAAAP
Membership and Service
- Member, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, 1998 – Present.
- Member, American Helicopter Society, 1998 – 2003.
- Treasurer, Atlanta Chapter of American Helicopter Society, 2002.
- Tai, J.C., Mavris, D.N., and Schrage, D.P., " An Assessment of Reaction Driven Stopped Rotor/Wing Using Circulation Control in Forward Flight,” SAE 1996 Transactions, Journal of Aerospace, Vol. 105, Section I, 965612, pp. 1647-1656,1997.
- Mavris, D.N., Tai, J.C., Denney, R., Kestner, B., “Variable Cycle Optimization for Supersonic Commercial Applications,” 2005-01-3400, Presented World Aviation Congress, Dallas Fort Worth, TX, October 2-6, 2005.
- Mavris, D.N., DeLaurentis, D.A., Hale, M.A., Tai, J.C., "Elements of an Emerging Virtual Stochastic life Cycle Design Environment," Presented at the 4th World Aviation Congress and Exposition, San Francisco, CA, October 19-21, 1999.
- Tai, J.C., Mavris, D.N., Schrage, D.P., "Comparative Assessment of High Speed Rotorcraft Concepts (HSRC): Reaction Driven Stopped Rotor/Wing and Variable Diameter Tiltrotor," Presented at the 2nd World Aviation Congress and Exposition, Anaheim, CA, October 13-16, 1997
- Tai, J.C., Mavris, D.N., and Schrage, D.P., "An Assessment of Reaction Driven Stopped Rotor/Wing Using Circulation Control in Forward Flight," Presented at the 1st World Aviation Congress and Exposition, Los Angeles, CA, October 21-24, 1996.
- Tai, J.C., Mavris, D.N., Schrage, D.P., "An Application of Response Surface Methodology to the Design of Tipjet Driven Stopped Rotor/Wing Concepts," Presented at the 1st AIAA Aircraft Engineering, Technology, and Operations Congress, Anaheim, CA, September 19-21, 1995.