Dr. Michael Balchanos
Research Engineer II
Digital Engineering (DE) Division
Weber Building, Rm 105
(404) 894 - 9799
michael.balchanos (at) asdl.gatech.edu
Dr. Michael Balchanos is research faculty with the School of Aerospace Engineering, where he serves as the Resilient Systems Branch lead at the Aerospace Systems Design Laboratory. His areas of expertise include research work in dynamic systems modeling and simulation methods, as well as SoS-level integration techniques for enabling decision support in complex systems design, involving several applications such as smart energy infrastructures, electric reconfigurable naval ships and unmanned aerial vehicles. He is also leading ASDL's Automotive Systems Research Initiative with applications in electric vehicle energy-based sizing and optimization (EVs) as well as the development of SoS-level frameworks for the connected autonomous mobility ecosystem of the future. He obtained his Diploma in Physics from the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece and his M.Sc. and Ph.D. degrees in Aerospace Engineering from Georgia Tech.
- Resilient Systems Research: Methods for the assessment and resilience-based design of large scale, complex systems.
- Energy Systems and Infrastructures: Modeling, simulation and SoS-level integration methods to support decisions for energy-efficient operations.
- Naval Systems Architecting: Power generation and distribution systems modeling and simulation for more electric ship architectures.
- Automotive Systems: Powertrain modeling, simulation and integration for electric vehicle applications.
- Connected Mobility: SoS-level modeling and simulation for connected autonomous mobility solutions.
- ONR Electric Ship: Power systems modeling and exploration of systems integration techniques for the design of electric reconfigurable naval ship systems.
- SmartCampus and Campus Designer: Development of campus M&S environments and tabletop front-end applications for enabling CBO-level decision support.
- Connected Mobility for Autonomous EVs: Electric Vehicle (EV) energy-based sizing, optimization and development of SoS-level frameworks for the exploration of connected autonomous mobility ecosystems of the future.
- Engineered Resilient Systems (ERS) Initiative: Expanding and refining ASDL's approach on resilient system concepts, through C2 military SoS applications and large scale information networks.
- Diploma, Physics, 2002, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece
- M.S., Aerospace Engineering, 2005, Georgia Institute of Technology
- Ph.D, Aerospace Engineering, 2012, Georgia Institute of Technology
- Bucsan G., Balchanos, M.G., Mavris D.N., Ishigaki, M., Iwai A., and J.S. Lee. "Management Of Technologies for Electric Vehicle Efficiency Towards Optimizing Range", Conference of IEEE Systems, Men, and Cybernetics Society, IEEE SMC 2016, Budapest, Hungary, 2016.
- Mavris, D.N., Pinon, O., Balchanos, M.G. and W.J. Sung. "A Data Mining and Visual Analytics Perspective on Infrastructure Planning", International Conference on Data Mining and Big Data (IC-DMBD'2016), Bali, Indonesia, June 2016 (Invited Paper).
- Balchanos, M.G., Kim J., Duncan S., and D.N. Mavris. "Modeling and Simulation-based Analysis for Large Scale Campus Chilled Water Networks", 13th International Energy Conversion Engineering Conference, p. 3998, Aug. 2015.
- Balchanos, M.G., Domercant, J.C., Tran, H.T., and D.N. Mavris. "Metrics-based analysis and evaluation framework for engineering resilient systems", 2014 7th International Symposium on Resilient Control Systems (ISRCS), pp.1,7, 19-21 Aug. 2014.
- Duncan, S., Balchanos, M.G., Sung, W., Kim, J., Li, Y., Issac, Y., Mavris, D. and A. Coulon. "Towards a Data Calibrated, Simulation-Based Campus Energy Analysis Environment for Situational Awareness and Future Energy System Planning", ASME 2014 8th International Conference on Energy Sustainability collocated with the ASME 2014 12th International Conference on Fuel Cell Science, Engineering and Technology, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, doi:10.1115/ES2014-6695, Jun. 2014.
- Balchanos, M.G., Li, Y., and D.N. Mavris. "Towards a Method for Assessing Resilience of Complex Dynamical Systems", Proceeding of the 2012 International Symposium for Resilient Control Systems (ISRCS), Aug. 2012.
- Li, Y., Balchanos, M.G., Nairouz, B., Weston, N.R., and D.N. Mavris. "Modeling and Simulation of Integrated Intelligent Systems", Proceeding of the 2008 Winter Simulation Conference, Dec. 7-10, 2008.
- Balchanos, M.G., Moon, K., Weston, N.R., and D.N. Mavris. "A Dynamic Surrogate Model Technique for Power Systems Modeling and Simulation", 2008 SAE Power Systems Conference, Nov. 11-13, 2008.
- Balchanos, M.G., Balestrini, S., Weston, N.R., and D.N. Mavris. "Multi-Physics Time-variant First-order Model Integration of Complex Systems", 2007 ASNE Automation and Control Symposium, Dec. 10-11, 2007.
- Weston, N.R., Balchanos, M.G., Koepp, M.R., and D.N. Mavris, "Strategies for Integrating Models of Interdependent Subsystems of Complex System-Of-Systems Products", IEEE Proceeding of the Thirty-Eighth Southeastern Symposium on Systems Theory, pages 310-314, March 5, 2006.
Membership and Service
- American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA), Member, 2005-present.
- Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE), Member, 2015-present.
- International Council on Systems Engineering (INCOSE), System-of-Systems Working Group, Member, 2016-present.
- Hellenic Academic Society (HAS) of Atlanta, Member, 2005-present.