Propulsion and Energy
- Cultivates the next generation of propulsion engineers through an internationally recognized, multidisciplinary educational program and
- Advances the state of the art in propulsion, power, and energy system design through innovative modeling and simulation methods
Division Chief Engineer
Branch Chief of Power Generation Systems
Mr. Chris Perullo
Branch Chief of Subsystems and Aeropower
Mr. Stephen Edwards
Rocket Based Propulsion
- SS Cycle Development
- Aeromechanical Design
- Component Design
- Adv. Combustor & Emissions Prediction
- Distributed Propulsion Concepts
- Alternative Fuels Combustion
Power Generation Systems Branch
- Ground power generation, transmission, & distribution
- Power plant modeling
- Power storage
- Alternative energy generation
- Smart grid modeling
- Conduit to Electrical Computer Engineering domain experts
Subsystem and Aero-power Branch
- Engine subsystems: secondary/cooling flow, gears, bearings, shafts, etc.
- Airborn power generation systems: fuel cells, generators, APUs, motors, etc.
- Environmental Controls Systems: AC, pressurization
- Thermal Management System
Controls and Operability Branch
- Transient Cycle Development
- Fault Diagnostics & Health Monitoring
- P&E Controls Development
- Status Matching
- Inlet Distortion
- Tai, J.C., Mavris, D.N., and Schrage, D.P., " An Assessment of Reaction Driven Stopped Rotor/Wing Using Circulation Control in Forward Flight,” SAE 1996 Transactions, Journal of Aerospace, Vol. 105, Section I, 965612, pp. 1647-1656,1997. As the lead author, Dr. Tai performed all analyses and composed initial and final draft of paper.
- Mavris, D.N., Tai, J.C., Denney, R., Kestner, B., “Variable Cycle Optimization for Supersonic Commercial Applications,” 2005-01-3400, Presented World Aviation Congress, Dallas Fort Worth, TX, October 2-6, 2005.
- Tai, J.C., McClure, E.K., Mavris, D.N., “Propulsion System Modeling and Simulation,” JANNAF Interagency Propulsion Committee Conference, Sandestin, FL, May 8-12, 2002.
- Mavris, D.N., DeLaurentis, D.A., Hale, M.A., Tai, J.C., "Elements of an Emerging Virtual Stochastic life Cycle Design Environment," Presented at the 4th World Aviation Congress and Exposition, San Francisco, CA, October 19-21, 1999.
- Tai, J.C., Mavris, D.N., Schrage, D.P., "Comparative Assessment of High Speed Rotorcraft Concepts (HSRC): Reaction Driven Stopped Rotor/Wing and Variable Diameter Tiltrotor," Presented at the 2nd World Aviation Congress and Exposition, Anaheim, CA, October 13-16, 1997.
- Tai, J.C., Mavris, D.N., and Schrage, D.P., "An Assessment of Reaction Driven Stopped Rotor/Wing Using Circulation Control in Forward Flight," Presented at the 1st World Aviation Congress and Exposition, Los Angeles, CA, October 21-24, 1996.
- Tai, J.C., Mavris, D.N., Schrage, D.P., "An Application of Response Surface Methodology to the Design of Tipjet Driven Stopped Rotor/Wing Concepts," Presented at the 1st AIAA Aircraft Engineering, Technology, and Operations Congress, Anaheim, CA, September 19-21, 1995.
- Prior, M.A., Stults, I.C., Daskilewicz, M.J., Duncan, S.J., German, B.J., Mavris, D.N. (2009) "A Design Methodology Enabling the Efficient High-Fidelity Design of Combined Cycle Power Plants," 2009 ASME Energy Sustainability Conference, July 19-23, 2009, San Francisco, CA, USA. Paper #: ES2009-90291
- Griendling, K., Duncan, S.J., Mavris, D.N. (2011) “Combining Policy with Technology Research and Development to Enable Wind Energy Proliferation in the United States”, 2011 International Association for Management of Technology Conference, April 10-14, 2011, Miami FL, USA.
- Lee, K.H., Nam, T.W., Perullo, C., Mavris, D.N., "Reduced-Order Modeling of a High-Fidelity Propulsion System Simulation via Probabilistic Principal Component Analysis and Neural Networks," AIAA-2010-9193, 13th AIAA/ISSMO Multidisciplinary Analysis Optimization Conference, Fort Worth, Texas, Sep. 13-15, 2010. Accepted to be published in AIAA Journal.
- Denny, R., Tai, J.C., Kestner, B., and Mavris, D., "Variable Cycle Optimization for Supersonic Applications", SAE Transactions, Volume 114, pp. 1354-1361, 2005.
- Kestner, B.K., Tai, J.C.M, and Mavris, D.N., "A Computationally Efficient Methodology for Generating Training Data for a Transient Neural Network of a Tip-Jet Reaction Drive System", To be published in Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, GTP-10-1354.
- Kestner, B., Tai, J.C.M., and Mavris, D.N., "Multivariable PI Control for Tip-Jet Reaction Drive Systems", 45th AIAA/ASME/SAE/ASEE Joint Propulsion Conference and Exhibit, Denver, CO: AIAA 2009-4808, 2009.
- Kestner, B., Schutte, J., Gladin, J., and Mavris, D.N., "Ultra High Bypass Ratio Engine sizing and Cycle Selection Study for a Subsonic Commercial Aircraft in the N+2 Timeframe", Proceedings of ASME Turbo Expo 2011, Vancouver, Canada: GT2011-45370, 2011.
- Kestner, B.K., et.al., " Diagnostics of Highly Degraded Industrial Gas Turbines Using Bayesian Networks", Proceedings of ASME Turbo Expo 2011, Vancouver, Canada: GT2011-45943, 2011.
- Rezvani, R., et. al., "A Gas Turbine Engine Model of Transient Operation Across the Flight Envelope", Proceedings of ASME Turbo Expo 2011, Vancouver, Canada: GT2011-45565, 2011.
- Argote, C., Kestner, B., and Mavris, D.N., "NPSS Volume Dynamics Capability for Real-Time Physics Based Engine Modeling", Proceedings of ASME Turbo Expo 2011, Vancouver, Canada: GT2011-45374, 2011.