Sayan Ghosh is graduate student at the Guggenheim School of Aerospace Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology and is graduate research assistant in ASDL since Aug 2010. He is from Kolkata, the "City of Joy" in India. He did B.Tech in Aerospace Engineering from Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur and M.S. in Aerospace Engineering from Iowa State University. He also worked in General Motors India as CFD engineer for a year. His areas of research interest are multi-disciplinary analysis, design optimization, applied & computational aerodynamics and unconventional aircraft design.
- Multi-disciplinary analysis and design optimization
- Applied & computational aerodynamics
- Design of unconventional vehicles
- Working on parametric design of natural laminar airfoil (NLF) with improved aerodynamic performance at various flight conditions including off design characteristics for green futuristic commercial vehicles.
- Working on design space exploration to identify novel shapes and approaches to dramatically reduce the aerodynamic drag of airborne pod under the various operational conditions.
- Grand Challenge: Working towards NASA's Environmentally Responsible Aviation (ERA) Competition as a part of team of 8 graduate students. As a lead of aerodynamic group, working on advanced vehicle concept, physics based design and advance technology to reduce drag and increase overall aerodynamic performance to achieve NASA's N+2 timeframe goals of reduced emission, fuel burn and noise.
Education and Work Experience
- B.Tech., Aerospace Engineering, 2007, Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur
- M.S., Aerospace Engineering, 2010, Iowa State University
- Ph.D., Aerospace Engineering, present, Georgia Institute of Technology
- CFD Analyst, General Motors, 2007-08, Bangalore,India
- S. Ghosh, M. W. Lohry, and R. G. Rajagopalan, "Rotor Configurational Effect on Rotorcraft Brownout", 28th AIAA Applied Aerodynamics Conference, Chicago, 2010.
- A. Halder, S. Ghosh, and M. Sinha, "Fuzzy Quadtree Based Path Planner and Trajectory Smoother for a Low Cost Unmanned Aerial Vehicle", 3rd Indian International Conference on Artificial Intelligence, Pune, India, Dec. 17-19, 2007.
- S. Ghosh, S. Saxena and A. Roy, "Numerical Investigation of Flow Past a Rotating Circular Cylinder at Low Reynolds Number using Consistent Flux Reconstruction Scheme", CAE 2007, International Conference on Computer Aided Engineering, IIT Chennai, India, Dec 13-15, 2007.
- Shalabh Saxena, Sayan Ghosh and Arnab Roy, "Numerical Investigation of Flow Past a Rotationally Oscillating Circular Cylinder with Impulsive and Parabolic Angular Velocity Variation at Low Reynolds Number", 7th Asian CFD Conference, Bangalore, India, Nov 26-30, 2007.
- S. Ghosh, A. Halder, and M. Sinha, "Path Planning for a Fixed Wing Micro Air Vehicle in Fuzzy Quadtree Framework", 7th European Micro Air Vehicle Conference, Toulouse, France, Sep. 17-21, 2007.
Memberships and Service
American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA)