Dr. Simon Briceno
Research Engineer II
Building, Rm 312
(404) 894 - 8055
simon.briceno (at) asdl.gatech.edu
- Bachelor of Science, Mechanical Engineering, Syracuse University, 2001
- Master of Science, Aerospace Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, 2003
- Doctor of Philosophy, Aerospace Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, 2008
Gas Turbine Technology Planning Initiative (Siemens Energy, Inc) 2007-present
- Strategic Technology Valuation: Technology Portfolio Management Using Real Options Analysis
- Competitive Analysis: Market preference analysis using brand-choice models and competitor behavior modeling using Game Theory
Technology Portfolio Selection and Future Concepts (Airbus Research & Technology) 2009-present
- Implemented the Strategic Planning and Prioritization (SP2) framework and developed a multi-year technology portfolio selection tool
- Developed a quantitative technology impact framework for aviation future concepts (2030-2050) as part of a global energy (oil) shortage scenario
Definition and Development of a Public Registry in Support of the Strategic Development of NextGen Architectures within NASA Research Announcement (NRA) "Modeling of Vehicle Environmental Characteristics Including New Technologies/Concepts for the Next Generation Air Transportation System" 2010-present
Development of a Fleet Acquisition Cost Model as part of the Unified Trade-off Environment and Design Space Explloration of Naval Surface Combatants, (Canadian Navy) 2009-present
Honors and Distinctions
- Georgia Tech OMED Tower Award, 2008
Membership and Service
- Member of AIAA's Value-Driven Design Program Committee, Senior AIAA member
- Member of the Society of Automotive Engineers
- Member of the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association
- Justin, Cedric; Briceno, Simon; Mavris, Dimitri; and Villeneuve, Frederic; "A Competitive Market Approach to Gas Turbine Technology Portfolio Selection" ASME Turbo Expo 2011; Vancouver, Canada; June, 2011
- Cheung, Julie; Scanlan, James; Wong, James; Forrester, Jennifer; Eres, Hakki; Collopy, Paul; Hollingsworth, Peter; Wiseall, Steve; and Briceno, Simon; "Application of Value-Driven Design to Commercial Aero-Engine Systems" Submitted to the AIAA Journal of Aircraft, 2010
- Mavris, D. N. and Briceno, S. I., "Implementation of a physics based decision making framework for evaluation of the multidisciplinary aircraft uncertainty", World Aviation Congress; Montreal, Canada; 2003, SAE Transactions.
- Ellis, Michael R.; Mize, Christopher L.; Venkatram, Saumya; Pinon, Olivia J.; Briceno, Simon I; and Mavris, Dimitri. Development of a Public Registry for the Future Evaluation of NextGen Technology Transfer Benefits, Submitted to the 11th AIAA Aviation Technology, Integration, and Operations (ATIO) Conference, Virginia Beach, Virginia, September 20-22, 2011
- Justin, Cedric Y.; Briceno, Simon I; and Mavris, Dimitri. Strategic Analysis of Competitive Markets: A Case Study for the Narrowbody Market, Submitted to the 11th AIAA Aviation Technology, Integration, and Operations (ATIO) Conference, Virginia Beach, Virginia, September 20-22, 2011
- Ellis, Michael R.; Pinon, Olivia J.; Briceno, Simon I; Mavris, Dimitri and Gawdiak, Yuri. Identification and Evaluation of Technology Transfer Benefits: Definition of a Registry in Support of the Strategic Development of NextGen Architectures, AIAA 2010-9248, 10th AIAA Aviation Technology, Integration, and Operations (ATIO) Conference, Fort Worth, Texas, September 13-15, 2010
- Briceno, S. I. and Mavris, D. N., ‘Applications of Game Theory in a Systems Design Approach to Strategic Engine Selection’, 25th International Congress of the Aeronautical Sciences; Hamburg, Germany; 5th Sept. 2006.
- Mavris, D. N. and Briceno, S. I., ‘Strategic decision-making: Applications of game theory in a systems approach to commercial engine selection’, AIAA 5th Aviation, Technology, Integration, and Operations Conference (ATIO); Arlington, VA; USA; 26-28 Sept. 2005 pp. 1–10.
- Mavris, D. N. and Briceno, S. I., ‘Implementation of a physics based decision making framework for evaluation of the multidisciplinary aircraft uncertainty’, World Aviation Congress; Montreal, Canada; 2003.
- Dimitri N. Mavris, Simon I. Briceno, Ismael Fernandez, ‘Development of a Strategic Business Decision-Making Environment for Commercial Jet Engine Selection’, 41st Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit; Reno, NV; 6-9 Jan. 2003.
- Simon I. Briceno and Dimitri N. Mavris,, ‘Quiet Supersonic Jet Engine Performance Tradeoff Analysis Using a Response Surface Methodology Approach’, SAE World Aviation Congress; Phoenix, NV; Nov. 2002.
- Simon I. Briceno, Michael A. Buonanno, Ismael Fernandez and Dimitri N. Mavris,, ‘A Parametric Exploration of Supersonic Business Jet Concepts Utilizing Response Surfaces’, AIAA’s Aircraft Technology, Integration, and Operations; Los Angeles, CA; 1-3 Oct. 2002.