Dr. Simon Briceno
Senior Research Engineer
Building, Rm 313B
(404) 894 - 8055
briceno (at) gatech.edu
- Bachelor of Science, Mechanical Engineering, Syracuse University, 2001
- Master of Science, Aerospace Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, 2003
- Doctor of Philosophy, Aerospace Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, 2008
Dr. Briceno is a Senior Research Engineer and the Transformative Aviation Concepts Division Chief at the Aerospace Systems Design Laboratory at Georgia Tech. He leads research in aircraft systems design, air mobility operations concepts design, unmanned air-systems (UAS) design, and aviation safety and certification. He specializes in the development of advanced design methods to assess electric vehicle technologies in emerging aviation markets such as urban air mobility (UAM). His UAS research focuses on developing methods for autonomous path planning, inventory tracking and aerial imaging.
His research is focused in:
- Transformational Aviation Concepts Design
- General Aviation Safety and Operations
- Aviation Safety and Certification Research
- Unmanned Aerial Systems Design
- R&D Technology Valuation and Strategic Portfolio Planning
Membership and Service
- Member of AIAA's Transformational Flight IOC and General Aviation Technical Committee, Senior AIAA member
- Member of the Society of Automotive Engineers
- Member of the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association
- Younghoon Choi, Youngjun Choi, Simon Briceno, and Dimitri Mavris (2018). “Coverage Path Planning for a UAS Imagery Mission using Column Generation with a Turn Penalty”1109-1117. 10.1109/ICUAS.2018.8453311
- Youngjun Choi, Younghoon Choi, Simon Briceno, and Dimitri Mavris (2018). “Three-dimensional UAS Trajectory Optimization for Remote Sensing in an Irregular Terrain Environment” 1101-1108. 10.1109/ICUAS.2018.8453310.
- Youngjun Choi, Alexia P. Payan, Simon I. Briceno, and Dimitri N. Mavris. "A Framework for Unmanned Aerial Systems Selection and Trajectory Generation for Imaging Service Missions", 2018 Aviation Technology, Integration, and Operations Conference, AIAA AVIATION Forum, (AIAA 2018-4244)
- Lansing Wei, Cedric Y. Justin, Simon I. Briceno, and Dimitri N. Mavris. "Door-to-Door Travel Time Comparative Assessment for Conventional Transportation Methods and Short Takeoff and Landing On Demand Mobility Concepts", 2018 Aviation Technology, Integration, and Operations Conference, AIAA AVIATION Forum, (AIAA 2018-3055)
- Zhenyu Gao, Po-Nien Lin, Arpan Chakraborty, Brandon E. Sells, Simon I. Briceno, William A. Crossley, and Dimitri N. Mavris. "Challenges and Opportunities: A Strategic General Aviation Exploratory Analysis for 2030", 2018 AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting, AIAA SciTech Forum, (AIAA 2018-2009)
- Justin C., Payan A., Briceno S., Mavris D., “Operational and Economic Feasibility of Electric Thin Haul Transportation”, 2017 AIAA-ATIO Conference, Denver CO
- Cai, Y.; Gao, Z.; Chakraborty, I.; Briceno, S.; Mavris, D., “Parametric Approach to Assessing Performance of High-Lift Device Active Flow Control Architectures” Multidisciplinary Digital Publishing Institute - Open Access Journal, Aerospace 2017, 4, 6.
- Harish, A., Perron, C., Bavaro, D., Ahuja, J., Ozcan, M., Justin, C.Y., Briceno, S.I., German, B.J., and Mavris. D., "Economics of Advanced Thin-Haul Concepts and Operations", 16th AIAA Aviation Technology, Integration, and Operations Conference, AIAA Aviation, AIAA 2016-3767, June 2016
- Schmit, M., Briceno S., Collins, K., Mavris, D., Lynch, K., and Ball, G., “Semantic Design Space Refinement for Model-Based Systems Engineering”, Proceedings from IEEE International Systems Conference, IEEE SYSCON, April 2016, pp. 1-8.
- Locascio, D., Levy, M., Ravikumar, K., German, B., Briceno, S.I., and Mavris, D.N., " Evaluation of Concepts of Operations for On-Demand Package Delivery by Small Unmanned Aerial Systems", 16th AIAA Aviation Technology, Integration, and Operations Conference, AIAA Aviation, AIAA 2016-4371, June 2016
- Schutte, J.S., Briceno, S.I., Payan, A.P., and Mavris, D.N., Hydrogen Powered Aircraft, (eae1024) Encyclopedia of Aerospace Engineering, 2015, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. Prof.
- Ramamurthy, A., Briceno, S., and Mavris, D., “A Parametric Virtual Prototyping Process for the Conceptual Design of Complex Systems” NAFEMS World Congress, June 2015.
- Olivier, J.P.; Balestrini-Robinson, S.; Briceno, S., "Approach to capability-based system-of-systems framework in support of naval ship design," Proceedings from IEEE International Systems Conference, IEEE SYSCON, vol. 1, pp.388,395, April 2014
- Ellis, Michael R.; Mize, Christopher L.; Venkatram, Saumya; Pinon, Olivia J.; Briceno, Simon I; and Mavris, Dimitri. Development of a Public Registry for the Future Evaluation of NextGen Technology Transfer Benefits, Submitted to the 11th AIAA Aviation Technology, Integration, and Operations (ATIO) Conference, Virginia Beach, Virginia, September 20-22, 2011
- Cheung, Julie; Scanlan, James; Wong, James; Forrester, Jennifer; Eres, Hakki; Collopy, Paul; Hollingsworth, Peter; Wiseall, Steve; and Briceno, Simon; "Application of Value-Driven Design to Commercial Aero-Engine Systems" Submitted to the AIAA Journal of Aircraft, 2010
- Justin, Cedric Y.; Briceno, Simon I; and Mavris, Dimitri. Strategic Analysis of Competitive Markets: A Case Study for the Narrowbody Market, Submitted to the 11th AIAA Aviation Technology, Integration, and Operations (ATIO) Conference, Virginia Beach, Virginia, September 20-22, 2011
- Ellis, Michael R.; Pinon, Olivia J.; Briceno, Simon I; Mavris, Dimitri and Gawdiak, Yuri. Identification and Evaluation of Technology Transfer Benefits: Definition of a Registry in Support of the Strategic Development of NextGen Architectures, AIAA 2010-9248, 10th AIAA Aviation Technology, Integration, and Operations (ATIO) Conference, Fort Worth, Texas, September 13-15, 2010
- Briceno, S. I. and Mavris, D. N., ‘Applications of Game Theory in a Systems Design Approach to Strategic Engine Selection’, 25th International Congress of the Aeronautical Sciences; Hamburg, Germany; 5th Sept. 2006.
- Mavris, D. N. and Briceno, S. I., ‘Strategic decision-making: Applications of game theory in a systems approach to commercial engine selection’, AIAA 5th Aviation, Technology, Integration, and Operations Conference (ATIO); Arlington, VA; USA; 26-28 Sept. 2005 pp. 1–10.
- Mavris, D. N. and Briceno, S. I., ‘Implementation of a physics based decision making framework for evaluation of the multidisciplinary aircraft uncertainty’, World Aviation Congress; Montreal, Canada; 2003.
- Dimitri N. Mavris, Simon I. Briceno, Ismael Fernandez, ‘Development of a Strategic Business Decision-Making Environment for Commercial Jet Engine Selection’, 41st Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit; Reno, NV; 6-9 Jan. 2003.
- Simon I. Briceno and Dimitri N. Mavris,, ‘Quiet Supersonic Jet Engine Performance Tradeoff Analysis Using a Response Surface Methodology Approach’, SAE World Aviation Congress; Phoenix, NV; Nov. 2002.
- Simon I. Briceno, Michael A. Buonanno, Ismael Fernandez and Dimitri N. Mavris,, ‘A Parametric Exploration of Supersonic Business Jet Concepts Utilizing Response Surfaces’, AIAA’s Aircraft Technology, Integration, and Operations; Los Angeles, CA; 1-3 Oct. 2002.