Will Runge joined ASDL as a graduate student in the fall of 2009 after graduating from Vanderbilt. He is pursuing a Ph.D. He is interested in fixed wing aircraft design and flight testing. William grew up in Texas, and now calls Chapel Hill, North Carolina home. In his free time, he enjoys motorcycling, flying, fixing things, and shooting. William is engaged on campus as a Senator in the Student Government Association, and also serves as the NASA Space Science Ambassador for the state of Georgia.
In his first year at Tech, William led a Grand Challenge project for the Army Research Laboratory, entitled Micro-Autonomous Systems and Technology, for which he helped to develop an agent-based simulation environment for the ARL MAST program. William's research interests are multi-disciplinary design optimization of blended wing body aircraft, and mission design and optimization. He is currently working on the NASA Environmentally Responsible Aviation project, led by Dr. Jeff Schutte. This summer, William is traveling to Australia to lead a stability and control flight test study of a blended wing body Unmanned Aerial Vehicle, working with an international group from the University of Sydney, the University of Stuttgart, and UC Boulder.
- B.S., Mechanical Engineering, 2009, Vanderbilt University
- M.S., Aerospace Engineering, 2011, Georgia Institute of Technology
- Runge, William O. "Environmentally Responsible Aviation: A Project Under NASA's Integrated Systems Research Program," 2011 Georgia Tech Research and Innovation Conference (GTRIC). Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA. 26 Jan, 2011.
- Runge, William, Kyser Miree, Thomas Bowden, Thomas Carroll, and Ben Havrilesko. "Senior Design Project Design, Fabrication and Testing of a Reconnaissance UAV Launched by a Rocket." 2009 Vanderbilt Mechanical Engineering External Advisory Committee. Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN. 4 Apr. 2009.
- Runge, William, Thomas Bowden, Matthew Heller, and Tyler Lamb. "Vanderbilt University - Rocket Launched Reconnaissance UAV." Proc. of 2009 AIAA Region II Student Conference, Huntsville, AL. Print. April 2, 2009
- Miree, Kyser, and William Runge. "The Response of an Isolated Micro-Pore to Stepwise Pressure and Velocity Changes during Directional Solidification." 2008 Vanderbilt Summer Research Symposium. Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN. 4 Sept. 2008. Poster Presentation.
- A. Alexander, J. Wehrmeyer, W. O. Runge, B. Blandford, A.V. Anilkumar, and R.W. Pitz, "Nonintrusive Measurement of Gas Turbine Exhaust Velocity Using Hydroxyl Tagging Velocimetry," AIAA-2008-3709, Proceedings of the 26th AIAA Aerodynamic Measurement Technology and Ground Testing Conference, Seattle, Washington June 23-26, 2008.
- B. T. Blandford, W.O. Runge, Shengteng Hu, A.V. Anilkumar, R.W. Pitz and J.A. Wehrmeyer, "Hydroxyl Tagging Velocimetry (HTV) to Measure Centerline Velocities in the Near Field Exhaust of a Gas Turbine Engine," AIAA-2008-0235, Proceedings of the 46th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit, Reno, NV, Jan 7-10, 2008.
- Runge, William O. "Hydroxyl Tagging Velocimetry In a Jet Engine Exhaust." 2007 Vanderbilt Summer Research Symposium. Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN. 5 Sept. 2007. Poster Presentation.
- Runge, William, and Cousins, Amelia. "Vanderbilt Biodiesel Initiative." Vanderbilt Undergraduate Research Journal [Online] Vol. 3, No. 0 (11 September 2007)
- Y. Xie, S. M. Massa, S. E. Ensslen-Craig, D. L. Major, T. Yang, M. A. Tisi, V. D. Derevyanny, W. O. Runge, B. P. Mehta, L. A. Moore, et al. "Protein-tyrosine Phosphatase (PTP) Wedge Domain Peptides: A NOVEL APPROACH FOR INHIBITION OF PTP FUNCTION AND AUGMENTATION OF PROTEIN-TYROSINE KINASE FUNCTION." Journal of Biological Chemistry, June 16, 2006; 281(24): 16482 - 16492.
Awards and Honors
- NSF EAPSI Fellow, selected spring 2011 for a research project in Australia in summer 2011
- Treasurer, Honor Advisory Council, elected Spring 2011
- SGA Senator, Graduate Student Senate, elected in October 2010
- NASA Space Science Ambassador, selected in June 2010, serving through May 2011
- Presidential Management Fellowship, nominated fall 2011
- Most Innovative Design Project for Senior Design Project at Vanderbilt
- Departmental Leadership Award for work on Senior Design Project
- Vanderbilt Dean's List Fall '05, Fall '08
Memberships and Service
- Aircraft Owners and Pilot's Association
- American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics