Dr. Yongchang Li
Dr. Yongchang Li
Research Engineer II
Weber, Rm 314C
(404) 385 - 2776
yongchang.li (at) asdl.gatech.edu
- Ph.D. Aerospace Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, 2007
- M.S. Aerospace Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, 2002
- B.S. Flying Vehicle Design and Applied Mechanics, Beijing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics, 1997
Integrated Reconfigurable Intelligent Systems (IRIS), sponsored by ONR, 2004-Present
- Developing an integrated dynamic modeling & simulation environment to investigate the behavior of complex reconfigurable systems for designing the systems with increased survivability, mission effectiveness and affordability
- Developed a dynamic decision making process which allows the IRIS designed ship to make autonomous decisions in response to the situation at hand
- Developing a concept space exploration tool for the Canadian Navy using advanced design and decision making methods for capability and cost tradeoff
Technology Portfolio Planning and Management Project, sponsored by Airbus, 2009-Present
- Applying a formal process and framework to assist Airbus in planning and managing the future technology portfolio
- Developed and implemented a hybrid multi-criteria decision making technique for technology evaluation and selection
Transformable Craft Evaluation Framework, sponsored by ONR, 2010-Present
- Developing an interactive analysis environment that can be used to analyze the landable zones for T-craft under different constraints
The Formulation of a Quantitative Technology Evaluation and Capability Tradeoff Framework, sponsored by ONR, 2008-2010
- The objective of this work to develop a process that can quantitatively assess the impacts of new technologies and products at the systems-of-systems level
Smart Grid, sponsored by GE, May. 2008 - Oct. 2008
- Developed a framework for strategic planning and prioritization of technologies that allows user to explore the impact of smart grid technologies on customer values through sensitivity analysis
Leading Edge Advanced Prototyping for Systems (LEAPS), sponsored by ONR, 2007-2008
- Investigated the concurrent product data modeling using the LEAPS environment and Unit Testing approach
Multi-criteria Interactive Decision-making Advisor and Synthesis (MIDAS) process, 2005-2007
- Developed the MIDAS process supported by an intelligent, knowledge-based advisor system which can select the most appropriate decision making method for decision making problem under consideration
- Develop a new and hybrid decision making method using MIDAS process to enhance the accuracy of the decision result
Personal Air Vehicle (PAV) Exploration Tool and Modeling, sponsored by NASA, Mar. 2002 - Sep. 2002
- Developed an advanced methodology by integrating statistical and probabilistic methods, with a probabilistic decision making technique to construct a Unified Tradeoff Environment (UTE) which allows tradeoff of mission requirements, vehicle attributes, and technologies simultaneously
Advanced Personal Air Vehicle (PAV) Concept Development and Analysis, sponsored by NASA, 2001-2002
- Developed advanced PAV concepts based on rotorcraft configurations using a probabilistic methodology
- Enhanced the capabilities of the joint probability decision making technique through the utilization of loss function
Honors and Distinctions
- Elected as Senior Member, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), 2009
- Second Place, American Helicopter Society (AHS) International Graduate Student Design Competition, American Helicopter Society International, 2002
- Outstanding Graduate of Beijing Award (15 out of 2000), Beijing Education Bureau, 1997
Membership and Service
- Senior Member, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA)
- Senior Member, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
- Full Member, Sigma Xi
- Paper Committee, Automation & Controls Symposium, American Society of Naval Engineers (ASNE), 2007
- Reviewer, Journal of Engineering, Design and Technology
- Reviewer, European Journal of Operational Research
- Reviewer, AIAA Aviation Technology, Integration, and Operations Conference, 2009
- Reviewer, Commercial Vehicle, Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE), 2008
- Reviewer, AeroTech Congress and Exhibition, Society of Automobile Engineers, 2007
- Session Chair, AIAA Aviation Technology, Integration, and Operations Conference, 2009
- Session Chair, Automation & Controls Symposium, American Society of Naval Engineers (ASNE), 2007
- Balchanos, M., Li, Y., Mavris, D.N., “A Theoretical Framework for the Analysis and Design of Resilient Engineering Systems” To be submitted to the Journal for Safety Research, by Elsevier, 2011.
- Hoepfer, M., Li, Y., Mavris, D.N. "Integration of a Dynamic Modeling and Simulation Environment for Naval Complex System Design”, To be submitted to Simulation Modeling Practice and Theory, by Elsevier, 2011.
- Sun., X., Langhans, S., Li, Y., Stumpf, E. “Uncertainty Assessment in Multi-Criteria Decision Making using Error Propagation Technique”, Submitted to European Journal of Operation Research, 2011.
- Aksaray, D., Li, Y., Mavris, D.N., “Development and Implementation of A Hybrid Multi-Criteria Decision Making Technique”, Submitted to 11th AIAA Aviation Technology, Integration, and Operations (ATIO) Conference, Sep. 2011.
- Sun., X., Stumpf, E., Li, Y., “Investigation on Ranking Paradox for Multi-Criteria Decision Making Methods”, The 21st International Conference on Multiple Criteria Decision Making, Jun. 2011.
- Sun., X., Li, Y., “Evaluation of Control System Performance Using Multiple Criteria Decision Making Techniques”, In Proceeding of 49th IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, Dec. 2010.
- Sun, X., Li, Y., “An Intelligent Multi-Criteria Decision Support System for Systems Design”, In Proceeding of 10th AIAA Aviation Technology, Integration, and Operations (ATIO) Conference, Sep. 2010.
- Mavris, D.N., Li, Y., “Integrated Reconfigurable Intelligent Systems for Complex Naval Systems”, Defense Technical Information Center, Dec., 2009.
- Li, Y., Balchanos, M., Nairouz, B., Weston, N.R., and Mavris, D.N., “Modeling and Simulation of Integrated Intelligent Systems”, In Proceeding of 2008 Winter Simulation Conference, pp. 1225-1233, 2008.
- Balestrini, S., Li, Y., Nixon, J., and Mavris, D.N., “Model Development of Large-Scale DoD System-of-Systems”, In Proceedings of the 2008 International Simulation Multi-conference, 2008.
- Li, Y., Weston, N.R., and D.N. Mavris, “An Approach of Multi-Criteria Decision Making Method Selection and Development," In Proceeding of 26th Congress of International Council of the Aeronautical Sciences (ICAS), 2008.
- Li, Y., Weston, N.R., and D.N. Mavris, “A Multi-Agent Autonomous Decision Making Process for Resource Allocation,” In Proceeding of 2007 ASNE Automation and Control Symposium, 2007.
- Li, Y., Mavris, D.N., “An Intelligent, Knowledge-Based Multi-Criteria Decision Making Advisor for Aerospace Systems Design”, In Proceeding of 24th Congress of International Council of the Aeronautical Sciences (ICAS), ICAS Paper 2006-1.9.3, 2006.
- Li, Y., Hollingsworth, P., Mavris, D.N., “A Concept Selection Method Developed from a Probabilistic Multi-criteria Decision Making Technique Using Utility Theory”, 2005 SAE transactions - Journal of Aerospace, Vol. 114, pp. 1496-1507, 2005.
- Li, Y., Mavris, D.N., DeLaurentis, D.A., "The Investigation of a Decision-Making Technique Using the Loss Function", In Proceeding of 4th AIAA Aviation Technology, Integration and Operations Conference, AIAA Paper 2004-6205, pp. 30-41, 2004.
- Li, Y., DeLaurentis, D.A., Mavris, D.N., “Advanced Rotorcraft Concept Development and Selection Using a Probabilistic Methodology”, In Proceeding of 3rd AIAA Aviation Technology, Integration and Operations Conference, AIAA Paper 2003-6759, 2003.