Zilin "Elizabeth" Tang
Zilin "Elizabeth" Tang is currently pursuing her Ph.D. degree in ASDL. She went to University of Washington and Georgia Tech for her undergraduate studies. She speaks fluent English and Mandarin Chinese, and is learning Japanese. At her leisure time, Elizabeth loves to learn about the inspiring new developments in commercial space sector. She also enjoys going to symphony performances and art museums, volunteering work, traveling, drawing, and reading.
Office: Weber 316
- Manufacturing-Influenced Design (MInD)
- Interactions between aircraft, manufacturing and supply chain design at conceptual and preliminary phases
- Strategic supply chain network modeling
- Composite manufacturing processes
- Production planning and schedule optimization
In ASDL, Elizabeth has worked on various funded research projects including Aviation environmental Portfolio Management Tool (APMT) project, the single-aisle replacement aircraft design project, and is currently working in the manufacturing-influenced aircraft design team.
Education and Work Experience
- Ph.D., Aerospace Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology
- M.S., Aerospace Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology
- B.S., Aerospace Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology
- Pre-Engineering, University of Washington
- Intern, 2009, Configuration & Engineering Analysis (C&EA), New Airplane Product Development, Boeing Commercial Airplanes, Everett, WA.
- Intern, 2007, Manufacturing Engineering, 787 Aft Fuselage Production Facility (now owned by Boeing), Vought Aircraft Industries, North Charleston, SC.
N. Komerath, J. Nally, Z. Tang, "Policy model for space economy infrastructure", Acta Astronautica, Volume 61, Issues 11-12, December, 2007, Pages 1066-1075.
C. Sundaresan, Z. Tang, J. Ceisel, D. Mavris, "A methodology for parametric production planning in preliminary aircraft design", The 28th Congress of the International Council of the Aeronautical Sciences (ICAS 2012), Brisbane, Australia, 23-28 September, 2012.
Z. Tang, M. Goetschalckx, L. McGinnis, "Modeling-based Design of Strategic Supply Chain Networks for Aircraft Manufacturing", Conference on Systems Engineering Research (CSER'13), Atlanta, GA, 19-22 March, 2013. (Peer-reviewed)
Z. Tang, O. Pinon, D. Mavris, “Identification of Key Factors in Integrating Aircraft and the Associated Supply Chains during Early Design Phases”, Aviation 2014, Atlanta, GA, June 16-20, 2014.
Memberships and Service
- Co-founder of SpaceUp Atlanta
- Georgia Space Society
- Sigma Gamma Tau - Aerospace Engineering Honor Society
- President of Georgia Tech chapter, 2005-2006
- Mars Society at Georgia Tech
- Outreach Officer, 2005-2008
- Member of Mars Desert Research Station Crew 47 and Crew 60, 2005-2007
- Member of GT Mars Rover Team, The International University Rover Challenge, 2008
- American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics
- Space Generation Advisory Council
- Tau Beta Pi - Engineering Honor Society
- National Society of Collegiate Scholars