Dr. Burak Bagdatli
Burak Bagdatli joined ASDL in 2008 as a graduate research assistant and currently serves on research projects as a research engineer. His primary research area is system of systems architectures and simulations focusing on production systems, collaborative systems, and visualizations thereof. He worked as a design engineer on a medium altitude high endurance UAV at Turkish Aerospace Industries. Burak also worked on several research projects including modeling and analysis of new technologies, concepts, and operations for the Next Generation Air Transportation System, coding simulations for architecture-based technology evaluation and capability tradeoffs, developing an interactive web-based course on electromechanical systems, analyzing, visualizing, and working with large-scale manufacturing data, creation of digital twin for manufacturing machines, and exploring design spaces for model-based commercial airline designs. His research interests include discrete event, agent-based, and mathematical simulations, digital twin for various phases of a program, and statistical modeling and visualizations.
- Ph.D., Georgia Institute of Technology, 2018
- M.S., Aerospace Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, 2010
- B.S., Aerospace Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, 2007
- Systems of Systems Studying, analyzing, and visualizing the cooperative aspects, system architectures, and capabilities, composable models
- Statistical Methods Use of Monte Carlo simulations, point estimators, and linear, non linear, and non-parametric regression in a systems design context
- Design Space Exploration Use of interactive visualization techniques paired with machine learning models to explore entire design and performance spaces for systems
- Decision Making Decision making methods relating to early system design, model-based systems engineering, design process improvements
- Manufacturing Investigate interactions between manufacturing processes in a factory, statistical and mechanical root-causes for cycle time variations
- Computer Simulations Research on mathematical graphs, Markov chains, Petri nets, discrete event, cellular automata, agent-based models
- 2018–2019: Future Factory Manufacturing and Supporting Applications for Equipment and Process Health Monitoring. Sponsored by Boeing.
- Built kinematic models for a lathe machine for a dashboard
- Collected and analyzed production data for building a digital twin
- 2017–2019: MBSE-enabled Digital Overall Aircraft Design. Sponsored by Airbus.
- Leading the Design Space Exploration task
- Developed multiple simulation result browser interfaces for the modeling team to troubleshoot models
- Facilitated inter-team collaboration for systems engineering, modeling, and visualization
- Prepared a design space exploration application for an Airbus-wide demonstration
- Worked with students to realize a design space exploration with multi-fidelity data
- 2016–2017: The Digital Factory of the Future. Sponsored by Boeing.
- Performed data processing, analysis, regression, and visualization.
- 2016: MENTOR2 Collaborative Repository for Engineering And Technology Education. Sponsored by DARPA.
- Developed a web-interface for an online course for electromechanical system for military personnel
- Prepared course outline, lesson plans, lecture text and videos, technical drawings, animations, interactive learning tools
- 2009–2015: Architecture-Based Innovation, Technology Evaluation, and Capability Tradeoff Process. Sponsored by the Office of Naval Research.
- Developed a custom discrete event simulation engine and a computer readable description language
- 2008–2009: Vehicle Technology Environmental Modeling with Operational Aspects. Sponsored by NASA.
- Worked with various airplane and airline operations databases
- 2008–2009: J-UCAS Grand Challenge—System of Systems Analysis for Joint Suppression of Enemy Air Defenses Mission
- Bagdatli, B., Karagoz, F., Reilley, K.A., and Mavris, D.N., "MBSE-enabled Interactive Environment for Aircraft Conceptual Sizing & Synthesis". AIAA Scitech 2019 Forum, San Diego, CA.
- Bagdatli, B., Griendling, K., and Mavris, D., "Challenges for simulating stochastic behavior in systems of systems". INCOSE Insight, 15(2):29–31, July 2012.
- Bagdatli, B., Mavris, D., "Use of high-level architecture discrete event simulation in a system of systems design". IEEE Aerospace Conference, March 2012, Big Sky, MT.
- Bagdatli et al., "A Method for Examining the Impact of Interoperability on Mission Performance in a System of Systems", IEEE Aerospace Conference, March 2010, Big Sky, MT.
Memberships and Service
- AIAA Member