Dr. Turab Zaidi is a Lecturer and Research Engineer II within the School of Aerospace Engineering at the Georgia Institute of Technology. He obtained his Ph.D. in 2016 focusing on uncertainty quantification and probabilistic assessment, and then began lecturing at GT-Lorraine (France). He was the primary focal in establishing the first-ever aerospace research lab at GT-Lorraine with a grant from the EU Commission and won GTL’s Best Professor award in 2019. Returning to Atlanta in 2021, he continues to teach 7 to 9 courses annually and conducts research with the Aerospace Systems Design Laboratory supporting two NASA environmental and sustainable aviation projects. His strong passion for teaching reflects in his consistently high instructor ratings including being recognized on the Student Recognition of Excellence in Teaching: Class of 1934 CIOS Honor Roll for his teaching work in 2022. He enjoys leveraging his research and publications to bring real-life engineering applications into the classroom and to mentor his students.
- Instructor of Record teaching 8 courses per year on average including undergraduate and graduate classes varying from:
- AE 1601: Introduction to AE
- AE 2010: Thermodynamics & Fluids Fundamentals
- AE 2220: Dynamics of Rigid Bodies
- AE 6343: Aicraft Design
- AE 6373: Advanced Design Methods I
- AE 8801: Special Topics at GTL
Electrified Propulsion Flight Demonstration Program (Sponsor: NASA)
- Role: Technical Lead
- Project overview: Uncertainty Quantification and analysis for future hybrid electric aircraft architectures.
NASA HQ Zero Emissions (Sponsor: Boeing Research & Technology) (Sponsor: NASA)
- Role: Technical Collaborator
- Project overview: Development of future hydrogen based zero emissions aicraft models for the 2050 timeframe.
Overall Air Transport System Vehicle Scenarios (Sponsor: EU Commission Horizon 2020, Clean Sky 2 Joint Undertaking)
- Role: Scientific Principal Investigator
- Project overview: Forecasting demand estimation of advanced configuration aircraft including supersonic transport aircraft and urban air mobility vehicles.
- J. Uzodinma, T. Zaidi, M. Walter, and D. Mavris, “Uncertainty Quantification on a Parallel Hybrid-Electric Propulsion EPFD Vehicle,” AIAA SciTech Forum 2023
- Jiajie Wen, Turab Zaidi, Dimitri N. Mavris, “Forecasting the Global Supersonic Business Aviation Flight Movements Up to 2050,” AIAA Scitech Forum 2021 doi: (https://doi.org/10.2514/6.2021-1273).
- Akshay Anand, Harleen Kaur, Cedric Y. Justin, Turab Zaidi, Dimitri N. Mavris, “A Scenario-Based Evaluation of Global Urban Air Mobility Demand,” AIAA Scitech Forum 2021, doi: (https://doi.org/10.2514/6.2021-1516).
- Colby J. Weit, Jiajie Wen, Turab A. Zaidi, Dimitri N. Mavris, “Estimating supersonic commercial aircraft market and resulting CO2 emissions using public movement data,” Council of European Aerospace Societies (CEAS) Aeronautical Journal, vol. 12, pp. 191–203, 2021, doi: (https://doi.org/10.1007/s13272-020-00486-3).
- Madhukar Mayakonda, Cedric Y. Justin, Akshay Anand, Colby J. Weit, Jiajie Wen, Turab Zaidi, Dimitri Mavris, “A Top-Down Methodology for Global Urban Air Mobility Demand Estimation,” AIAA AVIATION Forum 2020 doi: (https://doi.org/10.2514/6.2020-3255).
- Jiajie Wen, Colby J. Weit, Madhukar Mayakonda, Akshay Anand, Turab Zaidi, Dimitri Mavris, “A Methodology for Supersonic Commercial Market Estimation and Environmental Impact Evaluation (Part II),” AIAA AVIATION Forum 2020 doi: (https://doi.org/10.2514/6.2020-3261).
- Jose Bernardo, Turab Zaidi, Matthew Levine, Hernando Jimenez, Dimitri Mavris, “Rapid Integrated Interdependent Fleet-Level Environmental Model,” AIAA Journal of Aircraft, vol. 54, issue 3, pp. 939–954, 2017.
- Turab Zaidi, Hernando Jimenez, and Dimitri Mavris, “Copulas Theory for Probabilistic Assessment: Overview with Application to Airplane Performance Analysis,” AIAA Journal of Aircraft, vol. 52, issue 6, pp. 1802, 2015.
- Turab Zaidi, Hernando Jimenez, and Dimitri Mavris, “Quantifying Random Variable Dependence Structure Through Copulas Theory for Probabilistic Assessment,” 14th AIAA Aviation Technology, Integration, and Operations Conference, AIAA 2014-2171.
T. A. Zaidi, A Methodology for Probabilistic Aircraft Technology Assessment And Selection Under Uncertainty, Ph.D. Thesis, School of Aerospace Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA, August 2016
- Contributed to ICAO Committee on Aviation Environmental Protection, “Appendix M3 Technology” in Report on the feasibility of a long-term aspirational goal (LTAG) for international civil aviation CO2 emission reductions, Appendix M3, 2022. Available online.
- Authored Technical Data Report AN 0421-714, Rolls-Royce Corporation, Report on failure analysis of pitted test specimens in turbine wheels of AE series engines, 2011